Depending on your circumstances, you may have several considerations related to your retirement benefits when making a job or career change.
If your time base is changing
If you are transitioning from part-time to full-time, you may be newly subject to mandatory membership in the CalSTRS Defined Benefit Program. Consider purchasing the service you performed as a part-time employee to increase your retirement benefits.
- Read the Purchase Service Credit Now fact sheet to learn more.
- Read the Purchase Additional Service Credit booklet for detailed eligibility requirements and steps you can take.
Changing from one public education employer to another
Be sure to have your previous employer transfer your unused sick leave to your new employer. Unused sick leave can increase your service credit at retirement.
- Learn more in the CalSTRS Member Handbook.
If you are a member of CalSTRS and accepted employment to perform service that requires membership in a different public retirement system—or if you are a member of CalPERS and have accepted employment to perform service that requires membership in CalSTRS—you will have an opportunity to elect which plan you wish to be in going forward. Ask your employer for more information about the election process.
- Read Join CalSTRS? Join CalPERS? for detailed considerations about this important choice.
You may still be eligible to receive a benefit from CalSTRS in the future if you are vested or if you may return to education in the future. If you are considering a refund, learn about the consequences of cashing out.
- Read the Refund: Consider the Consequences fact sheet.